beyond the Bolaji distraction...back to March 21

Dear DK,
I went back to Kayode's posting again, after I read yours. I do not think that the logic your ascribe to it is its crux.

I personally see nothing wrong in continuing lamponning Bolaji or any body. For that matter I do not see anything in itself wrong with condemnations of what took place at Ekiti. The problem I see is that all these amount to side dishes.

The main dish which, in my view, is at the heart of Kay's bears on the question: 'what is to be done'.

Okenyodo, I would say, addressed this and rightly so thus:

So what should we do? Well, the meeting that began in March could be our rallying avenue. Let us begin contributing financially (and intellectually) to that platform; we cannot move an inch without a common platform. From there, we start taking action.

Similarly Cyril Oleh did a brilliant one, pointing out thus on our continued tradition of empty bombast::

We saw this type of drudgery after the 2007 (S)elections. First, like the hen whose chick is stolen by a kite, we rant and rave and then ---- lull. I cant remeber the number of times, i read about revolution, excellent quotes about. those who make peaceful change impossible.. .

I have actually wondered overthe past week and a half of the Ekiti saga at the temerity we have to condemn, electoral fraud, bad governance etc. 56 people were at Rockview on March 21, almost two months after, despite the Ekiti dress rehearsal for 2011 (the first major site and occurence for any serious platform committed to 'change' to engage in contestations beyond how dirty the gutter is...), hardly any of these has raised his or her voice to defend, call for uplifting the spirit of the March 21 Conference by moving beyond it. Septugenarian Ekiti women did much better than that! Irrespective of how the Ekiti saga eventually ends (if it has not ended...), each single one of them (and for me, above all: the nine year-old girl who insisted that the front of her father's house should not be used for polling on Tuesday as the house had been riddled by bullets during the earlier re-run's aftermath! of course she was beaten up by the shamless police...but she gives me hope that if our own generation would be even more wasted than that of WS...maybe their's would have more men and women that can do much more than just, talk, talk!), is worth the 56 all together who have refused to defend their mental 'votes' here....if not the entire number of us as a collective body on this serve.

I lend my voice to Kay, Okenyo and Oleh....and as I did before; I call for action to be taken by our building a political platform based on the March 21 meeting, to engage the process for change in our country decisively!
Baba Aye


______________________________________________________________________________


From: Don Kenobi
Date: Thursday, May 7, 2009, 6:48 PM


By Kayodes logic, we should move on when our favorites goof. By the same token I move that we move on concerning Obasanjo's goofs. I've made no secret I admire him. It however doesn't stop me from lampooning him.
It's unfortunate that we cannot be impartial in our views. These are the traits which continue to arrest our development. Imagine if Mr Adeniyi breaks the law and Kayode is the president! If we're no better than those we criticize and insist on not being better, we are wasting Nigeria's time.
There was a certain lawyer who despised IBB called him every name under the sun. The most printable was: Small boy.... Well.... He later became IBB's attorney general and the rest is as they say history.

Do

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trade unionism and trades unions; an introductory perspective

On neoliberal globalization 1

Tools and skills for trade unions’ engagement with the state’s policy cycle process